Posts for category: Dental Procedures
Braces help put a bright smile on your face. However, you need to have thorough oral hygiene to prevent other dental challenges during this orthodontic treatment. One of the common problems associated with brace treatment in Cumberland Park, SA, is the development of white spots which alter the appearance of the straightened teeth.
Fortunately, Dr. Jack Gaffey can help you keep smiling after your braces have been removed with some effective tips, but before that, let's look at the common causes of white spots.
What are the Post-Brace White Spots?
These are small white spots that develop on your tooth enamel. They can feel different than the rest of the tooth and are caused by demineralization( decreased minerals in the cause of your orthodontic treatment).
While braces do not always cause white spots, this form of discoloration is indeed more common with people wearing braces. They're mainly linked because braces can make it difficult for an individual to thoroughly clean their teeth. The white spots develop along the gum line or around the edges of the braces. Fortunately, not all brace wearers will get this kind of discoloration.
What Causes White Spots After Braces?
White spots are generally caused by acid erosion from bacteria and sugars in your mouth. Drinking and eating foods and drinks high in acids and sugars can be one of the causes, as it becomes difficult to reach every part of the mouth to remove all the food traces from your teeth. The result is a build-up of bacteria which turn into cavities and plaques. If ignored, white spots can lead to other dental problems.
Preventing White Spots
Dental hygiene is usually to blame when white spots occur after dental treatment with braces. However, your Cumberland Park, SA orthodontist may recommend regular dental visits throughout the orthodontic treatment to catch any signs of white spots and advice on proper dental hygiene at home. To prevent white spots after braces, here are a few practices that can help.
- Brush your teeth daily for at least 2 minutes: Brushing your teeth is the easiest way to keep your teeth clean and healthy. If you have braces, it's even more essential to brush your teeth after every meal to prevent acids and food debris from causing decalcification.
- Floss once a day: Flossing removes any food material that may get stuck on your teeth, such as meat and vegetables.
- Use fluoride mouthwash: Fluoride mouthwash strengthens your tooth enamel.
- Avoid acidic and sugary things: Sugary foods can encourage the growth of bacteria. You can drink more water to flush out the sugar. Acidic foods can be detrimental to your enamel as they can corrode the tooth enamel, weakening it.
- Avoid using bleaching or teeth whitening toothpaste: Using bleaching toothpaste while wearing braces is not necessary or recommended as it doesn't work on the areas the braces have occupied. Whitening works best when the braces have been removed.
- Use sealants: Sometimes, your orthodontist may need to place sealants on your teeth to make them resistant to white spots.
If you notice white spots on your teeth after removing your braces, don't panic. Contact Dr. Jack Gaffney via (088) 271-6233, and he would be happy to help.
Having misaligned teeth could make anyone feel self-conscious of their smile. Besides that, however, it could likewise lead to the development of various oral health problems like gum disease and tooth decay. Here at Cumberland Dental in Cumberland Park, SA, our dentists, Dr. Jack Gaffey and Dr. Angela Gaffey, offers a proven solution to correcting crooked teeth in the form of orthodontics.
The Benefits of Orthodontic Treatment
- Versatile Treatment. Orthodontic treatment, whether using traditional orthodontics with metal brackets and wires or Invisalign, is easily customizable to an individual’s specific concerns, from slightly misaligned teeth to extremely severe misalignment.
- A Boost of Self-Confidence. Getting a symmetrical and straight smile will promote increased self-esteem and a more positive image of yourself.
- A Perfectly Balanced Bite. When you have crooked teeth, it could lead to premature tooth wear, harder oral hygiene upkeep, TMJ disorders, as well as other related problems. Orthodontics, however, could restore your comfort and keep your oral health in top shape in the long run.
- Easier Oral Hygiene Maintenance. Aside from having a perfectly aligned smile, going about your oral hygiene routine will likewise be easier with straight teeth. You can even ask your dentist in Cumberland Park, SA, to improve your results with orthodontics with cosmetic dentistry treatments.
Can You Benefit From Orthodontics?
The American Association of Orthodontics states that you should ideally undergo your first orthodontic evaluation at seven years old. But it’s never too late for older people to consider orthodontic treatment, particularly with so many orthodontic solutions available these days. With this in mind, seek an orthodontic assessment if you have the following concerns:
- An underbite, where your bottom teeth are protruding past your top teeth.
- An overbite, where your top jaw is protruding farther forward than your bottom jaw.
- An open bite, where there’s a gap between your bottom and top teeth when your jaws meet.
- A crossbite, where your bottom and top jaws don’t meet together as they should.
- Crowded teeth, where your teeth are too close to each other or are overlapping.
- Gapped teeth, where your teeth have too much space between them.
Your dentist will utilize your bite and teeth impressions, x-ray images, as well as other crucial information for developing your orthodontic treatment plan that will resolve your unique orthodontic requirements.
To Find Out If Orthodontics Will Be Suitable For Your Case, Contact Us
Book an assessment here at Cumberland Dental in Cumberland Park, SA, with Dr. Jack Gaffey or Dr. Angela Gaffey by calling (088) 271 6233.
Know how to properly care for your smile while wearing braces.
Caring for your teeth and gums when you have braces is so very important. After all, you want to prevent food and bacteria from getting trapped in places that can lead to gum inflammation and decay. From the office of our Cumberland Park, SA, dentists, Dr. Jack Gaffrey and Dr. Angela Gaffrey here are some pointers to help keep your smile healthy throughout the orthodontic treatment process.
How you brush is more important than ever
Brushing is the most effective way to remove food and plaque from the front and back surfaces of your teeth, as well as along the gumline. Of course, now that you have brackets on your teeth you may be wondering how you’re going to brush.
You will still use a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste to help prevent cavities. Brush in circular motions as you go over the front of your teeth. To get the back surface of your teeth, tilt your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle, using vertical, circular motions to clean each tooth.
Brush your teeth more often
While most people can get away with brushing their teeth only twice a day, if you have braces you will find yourself spending a lot more time keeping those braces clean. It’s important not to neglect regular brushing, as this can lead to cavities. Every time you eat you should be prepared to brush your teeth. If you’re on the go, pack your toothbrush and toothpaste with you to make sure you can brush your teeth no matter where you are.
Yes, you still need to floss
You may be wondering how in the world you’re supposed to floss with brackets and wires, but it’s very important that you still floss your teeth to prevent food and plaque from building up between teeth. Floss threaders are probably the best option for cleaning between teeth and the gums while also preventing damage to the wires.
Our Cumberland, SA, dentists can show you how to properly use floss threaders to make sure you are keeping your gums clean. You may also decide to use an interdental brush, which can also remove food and plaque from around your braces.
Avoid certain foods
Your dentist can provide you with a list of foods that you should avoid to prevent damage to your braces. These include a variety of hard, crunchy, tough and chewy foods including,
- Corn on the cob
- Hard, crusty breads (e.g. baguettes; bagels)
- Whole fruits and veggies (e.g. carrots or apples)
- Chewing gum
Call Cumberland Dental at (08) 8271 6233 to learn more about the types of braces we offer here in Cumberland Park, SA, and how we can improve your smile.
What your dentists in Cumberland Park want you to know
If you have rotated, poorly aligned teeth and you want a straight smile, you are a good candidate for 6 Month Smiles. If you want to straighten your teeth discreetly, you are a good candidate for 6 Month Smiles. In fact, 6 Month Smiles can benefit most people who have poorly aligned teeth that show when you smile. Dr. Jack Gaffey and Dr. Angela Gaffey at Cumberland Dental in Cumberland Park, SA want to introduce you to the benefits of 6 Month Smiles.
6 Month Smiles is revolutionary because it allows you to straighten only the teeth that are visible when you smile, resulting in a straight, beautiful smile in far less time than with conventional orthodontics.
With 6 Month Smiles, your bite won’t be changed. Treatment is perfect to realign teeth that are:
- Crowded or overlapped
- Unevenly spaced or tipped
- Rotated or poorly-positioned
To take the quiz and find out if 6 Month Smiles is the right choice for you, click on this link: http://6monthsmiles.com/pages/patient_home/is_it_right_for_me.aspx
When you choose 6 Month Smiles, you will enjoy many benefits which can’t be matched by conventional orthodontic treatment. With 6 Month Smiles, treatment is:
- Quick, with an average treatment time of 6 months
- Virtually invisible, using clear brackets and white wires
- Less expensive, often costing far less than conventional orthodontics
- Comfortable, using low force to move your teeth into position
- Easy, because you visit your dentist every month for assessment
For more detailed information about 6 Month Smiles, please visit the Orthodontics page on the website at: http://www.adelaidecosmeticdentist.com/orthodontics.html
To view amazing before-and-after photos of Cumberland Dental 6 Month Smiles patients, please visit the Braces Before-and-After page on the website at: http://www.adelaidecosmeticdentist.com/braces-before-and-after.html
Before you think about conventional orthodontic treatment, consider 6 Month Smiles, the quick and easy way to achieve a cosmetically straight smile. To get started, call Drs. Jack and Angela Gaffey at Cumberland Dental in Cumberland Park, SA. Discover what 6 Month Smiles can do for you by calling today!
This young Adelaide man hated his teeth for a very long time. He has been through it all. We will call him Rob for this blog.
Rob is careful with what he eats, exercises regularly and looks really good. He felt that his teeth were letting his overall image down.
Rob had braces twice to straighten his teeth but after having orthodontics, he didn't feel that this achieved what he wanted. The teeth were straight but short and stumpy. They were discoloured and you couldn't see them in his mouth. It was time for a change. He looked for a good Adelaide dentist and was recommended by friends to come an see us. We love treating patients friends and family, they are always on the same wavelength as us.
Ideally Rob wanted a beautiful smile that he could be proud of and was happy to show off. Far too often, Rob felt that he would cover his mouth when he smiled, even subconsciously.
After lengthy discussion with Dr Angela, a proposed treatment plan for resin veneers was developed.
Dr Angela started off by selecting the colour that would be appropriate. We always like to go as white as possible but not whiter than your eyeballs :) .
Dr Angela rebuilt Robs upper teeth with a highly polished dental filling material. This gave several benefits.
- It allowed for Dr Angela to add dental veneers to Robs teeth without removing a lot of tooth structure.
- It provided an immediate effect, Rob could see exactly how it would look when he walked out the door
- The smile makeover was cost effective and able to be afforded on a dental payment plan.
We think the final result looked fantastic. Rob commented how much they improved his smile and achieved the high standard he demanded from his dentist.
If you are in Adelaide, come and have a chat about this process of dental resin veneers. It is one of many fantastic options we have at Cumberland Dental to give you a smile make over.
Contact us at Cumberland Dental for options on how we can improve your smile today. 8271 6233