Signs You May Need Braces
Here’s how to tell whether you or your teen may need braces.
A beautiful smile is one feature that can help to build your confidence and self-esteem, so if you or your child’s smile is crooked or misaligned you may be wondering whether braces are the right option. Our Cumberland Park, SA, dentists Dr. Jack & Angela Gaffey offer braces for patients of all ages to help them create a smile in which they feel completely confident.
You may need braces if,
- You have teeth that are crowded, twisted, or crooked
- You have gaps or spaces between teeth
- You have trouble properly brushing and flossing your teeth because they are crooked or crowded
- You often bite your tongue or your cheek because of misaligned teeth
- Your teeth don’t properly close together when at rest or when chewing or biting
- You develop speech problems due to jaw or dental misalignments
- You experience clicking or popping noises in your jaw (a sign of misaligned jaws)
- You experience stressed or aching, tired jaws when chewing or speaking
While it’s certainly easy to tell when something feels off with your smile it may be less obvious with your child. Once your child’s permanent teeth erupt our Cumberland Park SA dental team can get a better idea of whether they may need braces. Some signs that your child may need braces:
- Permanent teeth that come in crooked or crowded
- A smile that doesn’t properly fit together when your child bites down
- Early or late tooth loss (for baby teeth)
- Your child sucks their thumb, which can cause teeth to protrude
- Your child is a mouth breather
Should you see a dentist?
It’s a good idea to have your child’s teeth examined by a qualified orthodontist by the age of 7. Early orthodontic interventions can help correct dental issues before they become more serious and lead to further complications. Of course, it’s never too late to get a straight smile. We work with many teens and adults who want to fix everything from gapped or crooked smiles to severely bad bites.
Want a smile that will wow? If you’re interested in getting braces here in Cumberland Park, SA, our dental team can sit down with you to discuss your orthodontic options. Call us at (08) 8271 6233 to schedule a consultation.